Search This Site

Custom Search

Sunday, November 11, 2012

New Law Saves Food Allergic Student

PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY, Va. -15-year-old Luis Rodriguez Jr. was having an allergic reaction to a bee sting while riding the school bus home.Prince George County Schools Health Services Coordinator Teresa Isom received the call about the situation, realized the bus was near her office, grabbed a pack of Epi Pens and raced to the bus.Isom said the first Epi Pen did not improve his symptoms, so a second dose was given.An ambulance arrived to take Luis to the emergency room.*The new state law requires schools in Virginia to have a stock of Epi Pens to protect students that have an unknown allergic reaction.“If parents know that their child has a history of allergic reaction, they still should be providing that information from the physician with doctor’s orders and the medication required,” said Isom. (source WTVR)

Does your state have a similar law?
Check out this FAAN article about the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act
to see what you can do to make your schools safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment